Investigation of snow and firn physical properties, by Dartmouth College.
- Determine relationships between snow & firn properties and accumulation rate as the physical basis for large-scale mapping accumulation rate, and controlling actors for air-snow transfer.
- Determine convective zone depths for various accumulation rates, and impact of convection on chemical and isotopic composition.
The image shows a slice of snow from a snow pit (backlit)
showing layering of snow and firn.
- Measure snow & firn stratigraphy, permeability, thermal conductivity, density, and microstructure.
- Compare physical characteristics with high frequency radar measurements and with chemical and isotopic measurements.
- Modeling for air-snow transfer and convective zone extent.